Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Monday, July 18, 2016

A Week in Croatia Workshop Report 4: The Towns

'Hillside Towns Istria'          5x7     plein air pastel         ©Karen Margulis
available $50
I only had 10 minutes. Mario and I decided that the overlook would be a great place for a demo. We were on a tour of the interior of the Istrian Peninsula in Croatia. I was excited. I had already looked at photos of the spot and knew it would be the perfect place for a demo and talk about aerial perspective. When our tour guide announced that we would have a 10 minute photo stop I gulped!  Ten minutes to set up, paint and clean up would be a challenge!

While the group wandered around taking photos I quickly set up. I love my Heilman box set up. It made it possible to quickly set up and clean up. I managed to finish the painting and clean up in about 15 minutes. It was exhilarating!  I may not have a perfect painting but I captured the essence and have a great memory as a bonus!

I loved the towns we visited during the workshop. They were each extremely photogenic. I could have stayed all day in any of them. We had time to tour and do a little shopping or sketching in the three towns over the week. I took out my watercolors in Rovinj. Most of the time however I was anxious to take as many photos as possible.

Enjoy just a small sample of the photos I took. I am so inspired and can't wait to paint some of these scenes!


Flowers everywhere. Truly picture perfect.

Old and majestic

I love cats



Notice the very slick some streets!



sketching the harbor after a delicious ice-cream sundae

No comments: